Automobilifimages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 1 - LA to Little America

As i was leaving LA today at noon-ish....it occured to me how amazing my wife is.  She actually let me do this 2 week road trip by myself.  How cool is she?  Most of my friends think we are both insane...but mainly that she's nuts for being cool about it.  Hey...she knows me.

Alright...so, of course, a photo of my Chariot.  I'll be living in this thing fo
r the next 2 weeks so it's more like my mobile home...but chariot sounds more a bit more like there's glory associated with what i'm about to do

my chariot....


my path today.....


first ya gotta get out of LA which is easier said than done


but before you know it you find yourself with a first taste of the desolate desert...it's a great entree to the process of figuring out why you are doing the road trip

Today's journey included about 490 miles out of LA across the desert into flagstaff. I arrived at the Little America Hotel in Flagstaff at about 9pm local time and promptly cracked a new bottle of 1942 which expect will be a staple for the trip...gotta come down from the drive and all.

The Little America is a very unusual place to stay for sure....Upon checking in Jim told me, "the owners like to offer something special to their guests...without being too fancy" which i thought was an amazingly candid note and was clearly the case. This place was rated the #1 hotel in Flagstaff....and i really dig it.

but it is kinda like The Shining around here...





2 comments:

  1. Whoo hoooo! You did it! So excited to read about your travels...I will be checking in daily. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, i like the 1492, the year columbus sailed the ocean blue. i also like your flagstaff hotel. if you see lightning mcqueen at the local dirt track, make sure you counter-steer from the back straight into turn 3. vaya con dios amigo.

    ReplyDelete