Automobilifimages

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Day 9: Onward and Downward


View Larger Map

It may be an obvious statement but suffice to say this trip is not only about sitting in Precious and driving 5000 miles. I believe I’m just the latest in a long line of persons who seek enlightenment through to process of driving into the unknown. Clearly…there is something innate in the American Psyche that associates road trips with transformative moments in life. I am compelled by this promise as well as by having experienced a number of road trips over the years which have been exceptionally memorable.

1962 300SE Cabriolet Road Trip in 2005



(Photos by the wife...Leslie Suhy)

Why is the road trip such a powerful event in one’s life?

A proper road trip is about the resultant desolation and/or enlightenment experienced by the road tripper as a direct result of placing one’s self in situations which naturally occur as a byproduct of the adventure. Almost invariably a road trip serves a higher purpose if it’s long enough and if you choose the right route. If you only travel on the freeway, only stay in predictable chain hotels and never talk to anyone it’s highly unlikely you will encounter the chaotic ingredients necessary to cook up an experience that leaves you satisfied.


This particular road trip for me comes at crossroads in my life. I would imagine you would not take on a road trip of this magnitude without a craving of some sort. I imagine I’ll get into some of the variables that constitute this craving but suffice to say for the moment that it’s not easy to build a creative life while steeped in a daily life of utility and duty. This road trip signifies an effort to gain momentum towards a new phase of life. This road trip is taken in the hope it will assist in the deconstruction of my reality and enable me to rebuild upon the good elements. I expect to move onward and upward from wherever I am now…In my experience that only happens after a slight detour outward and downward.



Today’s driving route retraces a significant route from an earlier time in my life where I suppose I would have been going through a similar search for a deeper meaning. I’m hoping that following a path which holds so many memories and experiences will trigger revelations, shocks and electricity that will strike a miraculous chord. Perhaps I’ll study decisions I’ve made in my life from a new perspective? Will I find comfort or distress looking at my life from this rare outside perspective?

I first drove this route while attending LSU in 1983. Having pretty much no idea what I wanted to do with my life I figured that I’d go to the warmest place that would have me and figure things out when I got there. I remember coming to Baton Rouge on my recruiting trip and being immediately struck by how ALIVE it is in Louisiana. Every nook and cranny filled with some kind of life or another.


The humid air is filled with a distinct potpourri of unregulated oil refinery toxins, boiled crawfish, small town sorority girl perfume and moldy things growing everywhere. It was also a bonus that Louisiana was the last state with a drinking age of 18...an age that mattered greatly to an 18year old making such a decision. It all came together for me and I felt this was the place to figure it all out. Given Baton Rouge’s toxicity level and rich dietary proclivities it’s also the most likely place in the USA to hatch mutated life forms outside of Tokyo.



Speaking of mutations...I think I started this as a blog about my obsession with cars?

The first thing that strikes me on this leg of the journey is how much nicer the terrain becomes the further south one travels. Today’s drive is over 600 miles…and in spite of increasingly hazardous road conditions on this particular day…it was becoming more visually stimulating, more driver friendly (less traffic) and more green the further south I went.

At one point a bit outside of Memphis the conditions became quite a concern:


(hailing in Arkansas at a particularly degradated and yet very beautiful location)



With the temperature hovering just below freezing and ice falling from the sky and clinging to the trees. I considered stopping for the night and waiting it out. Before I could get too deep into taking any action along these lines the ice turned into a soft rain and I officially escaped the brutish north and entered the sweet south.


Upon entering Tennessee I was free and clear. My focus moved towards the purpose for visting Baton Rouge. I was excited at the prospect of seeing people I’ve not seen in 20 years.



I wanted to revisit places I’ve not been to in 20 years.

(oak trees on LSU Campus)

Remember things I’ve not thought about in 20 years


I’m storming southward towards a confrontation with the spectre of that guy...I barely remember him even though he still inhabits this skin?

In the red corner it’s super dad:

He’s 43 years old and married with 2 youngsters along with a mortgage and all the “things” he ever wanted.

In the blue corner he’s a 22 year old KLSU music director and carefree senior at LSU:

He makes $50 a week at the aforementioned “job” and really likes psychedelics and any experience that will push the limit. He could give a shit what you think ‘cause he’s moving to Hollywood when he graduates. He also has a new girlfriend.

Today's drive was a bit more eventful than I expected…but just like anything memorable...that’s what made it worth doing. I saw other people careening and crashing...


...but my Precious pulled me through safe and sound.

I pulled into Jeana’s driveway and said goodnight to Precious.

(Precious in front of my 1986-1988 Baton Rouge apartment)

The road for the next day or so is one I want to traverse as slowly as possible and is thusly not resonant with the services offered by my highly strung Precious. It’s time to soak it all up, connect with a missed community of friends and reflect.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you made it safe to your old stomping grounds. Poor Precious get dented from the hail?

    LUBE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nay...Precious is made of Kryptonite i think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good. I saw a photo of adding oil. Is she eating oil?? Isnt that the Lambo motor?


    What were you doing underneath the Mercedes wheel well? Jeff mechanic too?

    Anyway, be safe, looks like you are having a great time. This is cool how we can see your adventures.

    LUBE

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah...the R8 requires a quart of oil every 1600 miles or so. And the Mercedes road trip will be a subject of many blog entries in the future....that trip required a McGyver approach to getting her home. Thanks for the well wishes and glad you are enjoying the blog lube!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok bloggers............ck it out. I am the guy working on the Ford Maverick. That was about 100 pounds and alot of hair ago........WTF.......where and the hell did Jeff come up with that photo........That was the first pair of Nike's I owned. Holy crap.
    Jeff, your scaring me now.....LOL LOL
    LUBE

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, and that picture of me and the maverick was from 1980, 29 years ago. OMG. Jeff fixing up his VW Scirraco inspired me to rebuild my Mercury Capri. Bondo and Fiberglass. Jeff was there the first day we started the freshly rebuilt motor. I think Jeff was just as excited as I was when it started. I will remember when I changed the exhaust to a glass pack muffler and started it and Jeff jumped about three feet in the air when he was expecting it to backfire from the rich mixture, back when we could play, with no emissions......I laughed my ass off seeing Jeff jump when I started it (he didn't know I was in the car as he walked by.....LOL)

    Oh, memory lane..........thanks Jeff!
    Reliving the past is neat.

    LUBE

    ReplyDelete